Welcome to Senior School
In Middle School (Years 7 -9), students
- engage with a curriculum which is challenging, negotiated and exploratory
- develop strengths as a learner who is confident and willing to test the boundaries of knowledge
- connect to and with community
- grow a sense of belonging and inclusiveness
- learn about time management, organisation, delegation and achieving within a collaborative or independent environment
- experience learning in diverse settings including outdoor education settings
In Year 7, the core curriculum of English, Maths, Science, History, Geography, Physical Education, Christian Studies and Japanese is continued and expanded from the primary years. Further, in order to enable students to make informed subject choices in future years, we offer ‘experience’ subjects through ICT, Civics and Citizenship, Business and Enterprise, Home Economics, Design Technology, Drama, Music and Visual Art. This gives students a ‘taste’ of our elective program in the form of two electives studied each term in rotation.
Year 8 & 9
In Years 8 and 9, students continue with their core subjects of English, Maths, Science, History, Geography, Physical Education and Christian Studies with Japanese moving to an elective choice. In addition, to the core subjects, students can now make their own selection of electives with two subjects studied each semester.
Senior School (Year 10 – 12)
Our goals for Senior School include:
- The development of a variety of academic subjects which prepare students for life beyond the school gate in the 21st century
- Partnerships and pathways with tertiary learning institutions including universities and TAFEs
- Partnerships with training groups and employers to provide access to vocational pathways through traineeships and apprenticeships
- Opportunities for leadership and advocacy which grow from a cohesive world view
- The development of positive attitudes and values
- Recognition of talent, attitudes and values that can shape and enrich the community (local, national and international)
- We also offer a bespoke program, Education With Edge @LORDS, for certificate and diploma programs.
In Year 10, given some students are now thinking about their futures and possible career paths, it is important they are able to explore more diverse subject offerings in greater depth to discover and develop their strengths and passions. Therefore, in Year 10, students are able to select from the following electives: Music, Drama, Visual Art, Design Technology, Economics and Business, Japanese, Hospitality, Textiles, Graphics, Legal Studies, Psychology and Physical Education. Some students try out electives for a semester to see if they will want to continue those subjects in their senior school studies. Others already know they want to pursue certain subjects into their senior years, so they are able to specialise at this stage. Likewise there is opportunity to ‘test’ differentiating core subjects such as Maths and English as they start to diversify ahead of choosing an ATAR pathway or non-ATAR pathway for their Year 11 and 12 subject selection.
Importantly, during Year 10 the conversation continues with regards to future learning paths. Options such as academic pathways, vocational education including Certificate and Diploma courses, school-based traineeships, university partnerships and more are discussed both with students and their families.
Year 11 & 12
In the final years of secondary education, the focus is set on achieving the best possible outcome for all students regardless of their pathway. Support and flexibility are key here. Subject choice and workload considerations are made which may include study lines to individually craft a timetable for each student that will provide their best opportunity for success. Regardless of which pathway is desired, at LORDS the focus is on individual success and achievement for the completion of Year 12 whether that be for academic studies at tertiary level post school or direct into a vocational environment or even a combination.
You're invited to book a tour of the Senior School by filling out the form below.